BEST MODULAR KITCHEN DESIGN - INTERIOR



Today we are talking about everyone's favorite room in the home the kitchen this is my favorite space to design because it sets the tone for every other space and it's the heart of the home. it's where we all spend the most time together I had this vision of an English inspired kitchen but with modern functionality. so that's where we took it when designing a kitchen. I think it's really important to list out your top priorities and then work from there for me having an unlock or brass faucet was a non-negotiable. we partnered with Kohler for all the plumbing throughout our home we actually worked with Kohler sister brand Calista on this so that we could get this perfect on lacquered brass finish I love that it.

 Will patina over time and it ties in with our interior door hardware and I love the shape I love that it's a bridge faucet it has some interesting details but then it has this kind of square  here that still feels modern. I really wanted a big farmhouse sink in our kitchen so we did the Whitehaven from Kohler and I love a drip edge detail this is something that we'll do in would often underneath a farmhouse sink and then it catches any spillage that happens when you're doing dishes and protects your cabinetry. I wanted to do this in a different way so I actually did a marble drip edge across the bottom and I love how this turned out we did the coordinating pot filler back here. which I've never had in my kitchen and I am absolutely loving it one to fill up for cooking but also to fill up vases for flowers and this sits above my other dream list item which was a homular this beautiful work of art was a splurge but for me this was the focal point. Here it comes from France and it took about six months to get here and it was worth the way it went with the double oven and we have a griddle and Syd makes the kid's chocolate chip pancakes every single morning in fact it's kind of dirty.

Still from this morning we went with a color called Chantilly which is the soft white and then it has the silver and the brass and then that really ties in a lot of the metals that we have working throughout our home the next item on my wish list was marble. countertops there was pretty much no convincing me said could have tried to say we need something more durable and I would not have listened because I just love the look of real marble and we got this Calcutta. Auro slab from petrosian's and it just has this beautiful grey and can gold veining throughout. It and you have that across our entire island and then up the backsplash and even on these floating shelves here yes it gets a little bit of itching and scratching. I don't care it's been in Italy for thousands of years and it is worth every little hassle we did two different countertop thicknesses in our kitchen. so I wanted a very thin and delicate countertop on this back wall and then a thicker one on our Island I mix those to give a more custom look and then we coordinated the island with the shelf so these are the same thickness when designing a kitchen. 

we typically always start with the range and the hood as the focal wall and then we build out from there Tyler is awesome he drew our entire range wall to scale so I could see and make any changes on things before things get really serious I knew I wanted a plaster hood that had a delicate slope to it and a really great texture and then I wanted to frame out the edges of our kitchen. Because we don't have walls on either side and I wanted to create balance and symmetry. so we did these really tall cabinets with latches on either side when it comes to the cabinetry design I wanted a shaker detail and then we added this little cove bead around the profile of the cabinetry and we worked. with kill Owen on the build of our home and he also does custom cabinetry so he helped bring that custom detail to life I wanted a mix of hardware throughout the kitchen so we worked with our McMartin they are an English company and they had this beautiful unlock heard brass knob that is so heavyweight I just love it.

So we did knobs cup pulls latches and then these really long pulls on our integrated refrigerator from the beginning I always wanted putty colored cabinetry when I say putty. I just mean this kind of creamy color on the surround we have this 13 foot island and I felt like if I was to do the same color on everything it would just fall a little flat but my original plan was to go with a Lightwood that matched our floors well got into the space. They put the islands in and I just knew in my gut that it wasn't right we needed something that felt different a little bit more saturated. we went back and found the perfect stain that was a dark brown a rich tone that didn't pull too warm or too black I wanted to add a little bit of asymmetry I just felt like with all of the symmetry happening around the focal point that we needed to add in something to just throw it off just a little bit things that gets you perfect feel a little boring. so we went and created this piece so it feels more like a piece of furniture it's open I wanted not chunky looks very delicate ones and I wanted them to be able to store plates and dishes and bowls and all that good stuff and I love that it takes up all the closed cabinetry across the back of our island.

 we integrated all of the functional things that you need in a working kitchen so the trash can is hidden behind what looks like two drawers and the ultimate luxury in this kitchen is we did two dishwashers one on either side of the sink and they are also integrated into the cabinetry adding. character and materials with history was an important part of designing a new kitchen that still referenced the past and few years ago I was on  looking for pocket doors because I thought how cool it'd be to have these symmetrical pocket doors. on either side of our range we actually built the framing of our kitchen to fit these beauties we left them raw they're over 100 years old I still need to find the hardware to go right here but they tuck in and can hide our pantry on her bedroom when they get really messy or we can open them up like. we do most days we can go in and out I actually did two different backsplash materials in our kitchen so yes we did the slab on this range wall but on the refrigerator wall we did this beautiful clay tile and I love the texture and the movement and it also ties in with the backsplash that we did in the pantry and really brings the two spaces together.

 we will share more of the pantry on the blog to round out the finishes in this space I had my heart set on these beautiful green leather and gold pendants. I loved the angular shape the scale and I feel like that little touch of green goes a long way. we also did these great stools from Homular and I wanted them to feel a little bit industrial and I love that they have a swivel and so did my kids the last thing I want to talk about are the finishing styling touches that we did I am a vintage collector and I have in keeping boards and pictures and bowls for years and so this was my time to incorporate all of those pieces this I've had for probably six or seven years I have this vintage dough bowl here sometimes I'll put fruit in it so the kids can grab it easily probably my favorite piece in the whole kitchen. though is this little tiny painting on an easel and I think all of those details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bringing Paradise Home: The Elements of Tropical Interior Design

Where should I put my modular kitchen built in hub?

Shimmer and Shine: Glass Home Decor Ideas